Nanjing Tech University Examinations Implementation Details for Oversea Students
In order to foster the good concept of morality and discipline for oversea students, the rules introduced are combined with the actual situation of our university.
Chapter I Test proposition
Article 1:The test content should focus on inspecting the mastery and use of the basic content of the course and innovative and developmental ability of overseas students.
Article 2:Based on the characteristics of the course, either closed book or open-book methods can be adopted. We may use written test, or oral test or the combination of both.
Article 3:Some designated person is responsible for the proposition of tests, and all the tests must be approved by the director of department (faculty working office). The same course, in principle, should use unified examination (including make-up test).
Article 4:Each curriculum should draw up A and B, two sets of papers, and the quantity and difficulty of these two sets should be similar. The examination paper should use the standard test question papers. There should be an indication of the test time and the score assignment in the examination paper. If it is an open-book examination, it should indicate “open book” on the paper. After examined and approved by the director of department (faculty working office), the examination paper and printing papers should be delivered to the Office of Academic Affairs and OEC a week beforehand. The Office of Academic Affairs will select one set of papers as the first exam, while the other set will be for (any) make-up exam.
Article 5:The “test questions library” or “the examination paper storehouse” of all curricula of the whole school will be established gradually on the purpose of making the examination more scientific and standardized step by step.
Chapter II Test organization
Article 6:The final examinations, the make-up test and the repair test should be arranged by the Office of Academic Affairs andOEC. Without the permission of the Office of Academic Affairs andOEC, any individual cannot arrange the test voluntarily. The courses which will be completed in the middle of the semester will be given a certain time for examinations and this will be decided and arranged by the Office of Academic Affairs and the Postgraduate Department.
Article 7:There will be an invigilator and one vice invigilator in each examination room. The invigilator is the teacher who teaches the course, and the vice invigilator is approved by the related colleges. When the number of the students taking part in the exam is below 15, we will provide 1 invigilator, and when the number is above 15 people, we will provide 2 invigilators in the examination.
Article 8:Students should pay attention to their index numbers and sit accordingly in the course of an examination.
Article 9:In the course of the final examination, the leaders of functional departments of each college and OEC will be responsible for the routine check-up of examination. Meanwhile they will write down inspection registration or punishments to offenders of examination rules.
Article 10:In the course of examination, it is necessary for the Back-office to do a good job in logistical support to ensure the smooth progress of the examination.
Chapter III Examination Discipline and Disposal of Violation
Article 11:Except for the necessary stationeries, other articles such as books, notes, communication tools and manuscripts are not allowed in the examination room. If any student is found with these articles, he/she must isolate them before the exam begins.
Article 12:All Students must take their Students’ ID cards along with the passport or relevant materials in the course of the examinations. Each student should be seated at his/her designated seats and place their Students’ ID cards on the top left of desks for a routine check by invigilator and inspection staff.
Article 13:Students participating in the make-up (including delayed exam) and the rehabilitation of self-examination must have “two cards”; that is, they should exhibit a Student’s card and make-up or rehabilitation of self-examination ticket at the same time
Article 14:Do enter into the examination room 5 minutes in advance. Students who are 15 minutes late for exam will not be allowed to take part in the exam, and will be deemed as absence from the exam.
Article 15:The test paper should be completed independently during the stipulated time. In an open-book examination, reference books can be used under the teacher’s permission, but don’t copy or answer solutions of others. Don’t share their teaching materials and reference books.
Article 16:Students who hand in test paper in advance should leave examination room immediately. lease don’t linger around or even make noise in the examination room. Students should stop answering the paper when time is over, as the examiner declares. Put your paper upside down on the desk, and leave your seat when the papers are all collected and checked (with answer cars, answer sheet). Examinees should not take the paper or answer sheets (including answer cards and answer paper) out in any case.
Article 17:Invigilators are entitled to put forward other reasonable rules according to the exact condition during the examination process. Examinees are required to obey these rules.
Article 18:Candidates who do not comply with the codes of discipline of examinations or do not obey the instructions of the examiners hall be considered violators of exam rules. Depending on the severity, they will be disadvantaged for the following actions.
1. Carrying things disallowed in the examination room.
2. Participating in the examination, but not sitting in the required seats;
3. Answering before the start signal or after the end signal.
4. Peeping, whispering, and exchanging signals or gestures to each other in the course of the examination.
5. Do not leave the examination room after handing in the test paper or make noise in the corridors of the examination hall.
6. Leaving the examination room without the invigilator’s approval during the course of examination.
7. Taking the test papers, or answer papers (including the answer card, answer sheet) out of the examination room.
8. Other violations in the examination room identified by the university that constitutes acts of cheating.
Article 19:Students who exhibit the following behaviors during examination will be considered cheating:
1. Copy or peep the test content from other students, and show the test paper to other students.
2. Hand over scripts relevant to the test content.
3. Look at books, notes, data or carry examination-related materials secretly in a close-book examination.
4. Exchange books, notes and relevant materials in an open-book test.
5. Participate in cheating.
6. Write examinations and related content on the desktop, etc prior to commencement of exams.
7. When examiners find identical papers, which is confirmed by school.
8. Other behaviors affecting the facility of the test score.
Article 20:Examinees who are caught by one of the following behaviors will be treated as severe cheater.
1. Ask other people to take the exam for you or someone answer the test paper for other people.
2. Alter the name of others’ test papers and possess them as theirs.
3. Organize a partnership cheat.
4. Exchange test papers.
5. Cheating with communication devices, e.g., cell phone.
Article 21:Overseas students who cheat in exams will be treated as follows:
1. The Students who cheat for the first time will receive the punishment of probation. It is impossible for them to be granted bachelor degree. The students who cheat seriously for the first time or cheat for second time will be expelled from the university.
2. The student will receive no credit for the course they’re taking if they cheat. The Student is required to relearn the course.
3. Students who assist other Students to cheat during an exam will receive the same punishment.
4. All departments of university and students’ family will be notified of the result of the punishment.
Article 22:Students, who violate the rules during examination, will be corrected by the invigilators timely, by reporting to OEC in written material. Once the cheating students are found by invigilator, their examination qualification shall be revoked immediately and the examination papers, proofs and the introduction of process be reported to OEC in written material. OEC will put forward disposal ideas and report to the university.
Article 23:After the examination, the students shouldn’t bother the teacher on test scores from time to time and especially threaten teachers, otherwise the students will be punished according to the university disciplines. Whoever violates the rules and regulations, will be expelled from the school and handed over to the judicial.
Chapter IV Invigilator Guidelines
Article 24:Invigilator must possess a high sense of responsibility and the spirit of doing a meticulous job, to discourage potential cheatingand to ensure the smooth progress of examinations.
Article 25:The invigilator and vice invigilator should arrive 10 minutes ahead of schedule. During the examination they should do the following:
1．Announce the examination disciplines, outline examination dos and don’ts to students;
2．Request the students to put away books, materials, electronic dictionaries, and other items which they have taken into the designated exam centers.
3．Require the Students to turn off the cell phones and put them under invigilator’s custody, should students bring them or other communication tools into the examination room.
4．Arrange and adjust the students’ seats. If the students are not on the table in the order provided for them, invigilators should adjust as such. If the Students do not obey, invigilators have the right to cancel his or her examination qualification.
5．Request Students to put their Students ID or other valid certificates on the upper left corner of the table
6. Count the number of attendees, and check certificates. If the students don’t have the Students’ ID or other valid certifications, they shall not be allowed to participate in the examination.
Article 26:Invigilator should re-outline examination disciplines and attention to the students prior to exam commencement. Vice invigilator should take the initiative to assist the invigilator in preparation.
Article 27:During the examination, the invigilator should do the following:
1. With the exception of the printed examination problems, nothing else will be given. The students are not allowed to do anything which has nothing to do with the examination.
2. Invigilator shouldn’t answer the phone or chat or laugh during the examination.
3. Maintain good order in the examination room from the beginning to the end;
4. When the time is up, the invigilator should declare an immediate cessation of the examination, and students can leave after the invigilator has finished counting test papers and respondents.
5. After the examination, the invigilator should carefully fill out the registration form for the examination.
Article 28:The invigilator who is absent without proper reasons, dereliction of duty, or turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to cheating will be treated as an accomplice to cheating and dealt with according to the relevant provisions of the “Nanjing Tech University Teaching Accident and Approach (Trial)”
Chapter V Test Score
Article 29:Test scores should be assessed to be fair, objective, according to the strict implementation of the standard score.
Article 30:If students suspect the score, they should submit an application. After the approval by OEC, the examination paper will be rechecked according to the arrangement of the(Teaching and Research) director.
Article 31:Each course of the examination results should be in line with the general law of normal distribution. Otherwise, the teachers should submit a report of explanation to OEC.
Article 32:By marking test, the teachers should collect, analyze and summarize the problems which exist in answer sheet timely, sort out and file examination paper analysis and papers well, report teaching and examination to teaching and research office in written form, and present the existing problems and their improvement measures. The reports should be submitted to OEC and the Office of Academic Affairs by the related colleges.
Article 33:The terminal examinations and the make-up test of the beginning next semester and rehabilitation of self-examination should be hurried on with and transcript and a summary of examination should be handed over to OEC and the Office of Academic Affairs within 3 days after examination (Public courses, class-based, technology-based courses can be appropriately extended one or two more days). If teachers can’t complete their work in time for some reasons, they must submit timely reports and ask the teaching and research office to rearrange without delay. None has the right to change mark sheet with the signature of the teacher and the director of teaching and research office. If necessary, the original teacher should submit a written report which must be audited and approved by the dean of the related college and attached with the transcript for reference. The transcripts of the test results should be submitted to OEC and the Office of Academic Affairs by the related colleges in a week after the exam.
Article 34:These provisions are authorized by the university; OEC is responsible for the explanation.